PET DANGER⚠️⚠️⚠️

Dear Pet owners, there are various substances present in the home that are dangerous to your pet’s health and can cause death if chronic.

It is important you know about them as prevention is better than cure,below are a few of them;

1. ONION AND GARLIC

Onion and garlic belong to a group called Allium species, others in the group are chives, and leeks.

Although garlic and onions are the most commonly associated with toxicosis. Garlic is 3–5 times more toxic than onion. Cats are the most sensitive species, followed by dogs.

Allium spp contain sulphur oxidants which causes rapid destruction of Red blood cells thereby resulting to anaemia.

2. RAISIN AND GRAPE

The toxic substance in grapes is unknown, but dogs cannot metabolize some substances like tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides from grapes.

Most dogs with raisin or grape toxicosis develop vomiting and/or diarrhea within 6–12 hours of ingestion of grapes or raisins.

Other signs include lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain, weakness, dehydration, polydipsia and shivering.

Grape toxicity is linked with kidney damage. Eating the fruit can result in sudden kidney failure and even death.

3. CHOCOLATES

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and the severity is dependent on the type, amount of chocolate consumed and the weight of your dog.

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, which increase the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system of dogs.

4.PARACETAMOL

Paracetamol poisoning in dogs can be very serious, capable of causing kidney or liver failure in dogs. Signs such as labored breathing, swollen face or neck, swelling of the limbs, brownish-gray gums, reduced temperature, jaundice, vomiting.

Red blood cell abnormalities can occur as well as kidney and/or liver damage. In most cases, kidney and liver damage is not reversible. Ingestion of large doses of paracetamol can also cause coma or death.

5. PESTICIDES

Pesticides are harmful to pets’ health,most are basic irritants to dogs and cats, and result in clinical signs of drooling,nausea,vomition and diarrhea.

Anticoagulant pesticide poisoning causes excessive bleeding by interfering with vitamin K1 recycling in the body.

Bleeding is not always obvious as it often occurs inside the abdomen, chest, lungs, joints, and gastrointestinal tract. In some cases, bleeding may be visible such as from the mouth or nose.

It is important to educate your kids about these dangers and discourage them from sharing chocolates and other dangerous snacks to your pets when eating.

In situations where any of these dangers unavoidably happens, Contact Us.

2 thoughts on “PET DANGER⚠️⚠️⚠️”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top
×

WELCOME!

Send a message to PETS HAVEN, Click   below to chat on WhatsApp or send us an email to petshavenveterinary@gmail.com

×